25 February 2010

The Karate Kid...practices Kung-fu. WTF?

This post is a little off-topic, and for that, I apologize:
So I was surfing the website for the Bobby Bones Show, an Austin-based morning show that I listen to fairly religiously each morning as I sleep-drive my way to work at 0515 every morning, and I saw that he posted a link to a trailer for what is either a re-make or reboot of the Karate Kid franchise.

Sidebar: I freakin' love the Bobby Bones show, mostly because its personalities are all late-twenty-somethings (i.e., my age), and they are able to make me laugh -- an increasingly difficult task to accomplish these days.

As Mr. Bones rather astutely notes, it stars Will Smith's kid, and Jackie Chan (who I guess is filling the Mr. Miyagi role as coach/teacher/mentor?)

One thing bothered me, though: if the kid is going off to China to study kung-fu (a Chinese martial arts discipline), then why in the name of f*** is this thing called "The Karate Kid".  Should it not be "The Kung-fu Kid"?  Additionally, since I no longer have an MLA guide to writing, can someone tell me if I'm supposed to italicize movie titles, or stick 'em in quotes?  Or are they one of those grey-area things where both are acceptable, so long as you remain consistent...?

Am I the only one bothered by this?  Does anyone else see the ignorance in this misnomer for a movie title?  At least Jackie Chan (maybe) gets an opportunity to be an actor, and not an empty vessel exploited for a cheap laugh (usually at his own expense).  C'mon Jackie: do the Asian American community a favor and stop with the jokes whose punchline is your inability to speak English.  You're better than that, and quite frankly, the racial slapstick is kind of old and passé.

3 comments:

  1. According to this website, you underline the title of the movie for an in-text citation (http://english.learnhub.com/lesson/2425-mla-referencing-in-text-citations).

    Something else I have noticed about Jackie Chan's movies: he very rarely gets the girl. Often times, he is lucky to even kiss the damsel in distress after risking life and limb to rescue her. You know they would never treat Tom Cruise that way (but then again, at least they deign to give Chan movies; Cruise is now bona fide bat-shit-crazy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm not mistaken, you're supposed to use italics if you can, but in formats that don't support italics, you're supposed to use quotes. And yes, remain consistant (which I never do).

    And if they called it "The Kung-Fu Kid," people would think it was just a lame knock-off, instead of being cleverly fooled into believeing that is an awesome, long overdue sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I just saw the preview for this when I went to see "Alice in Wonderland," and I couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of it.

    ReplyDelete